Thursday, May 31, 2012

Chapter 29 of Backpack Literature


After reading chapter 29 in our textbook, I found the section on prewriting to be the most helpful. The thing that I believe would progress my writing the most is freewriting. I am not sure why, but I have never really been big on this. I usually try to just make an outline before I write a paper, and that is all the prewriting I do. I sit and try to imagine my paper in my head as I make my outline. I think of how to make it sound professional and not make mistakes, rather than just letting myself explore and jot down my thoughts. The actual content of my papers and what I am writing about is what I struggle most with when I am writing. I know how to construct nice, clean sounding sentences and I am pretty good with grammar. Although, my actual content and what I am saying falls a bit short at times. I really believe that freewriting or journaling as the book suggests would help me with this.Another issue with my writing is the editing part. I often do not take enough time to proofread my paper as I know I should. Last semester, I remember I wouldn’t just because I was really busy. Even though, I should have read over my paper’s more, because it does cause less editing that needs to be done later on.
 Last but not least, I liked how the book suggested if you are stuck on a paper, come back to it a different time. I often try to sit there and keep writing when I get stuck, and I end up just babbling on or repeating what I have previously written. I hope if I apply these tips to my writing, I can become a better writer and express my thoughts and opinions more clearly.

2 comments:

  1. I am the opposite I can free write I just have issues with making grammar errors and sentence structure errors. I also liked the part about reading over your work in chapter 29. I to will take a lot from this chapter and apply it to my future papers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of pre-writing as well. What I usually have done in the past is just "get it on a page." If I have a thought, I just write about it and whether it becomes useful or not, I won't know until I get there, but at least I don't lose those ideas. I think the outline is extremely important because it's the basic skeleton of your paper and without that structure, it's going to be difficult to organize your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete