Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Fences by August Wilson

This play is considered a tragedy. Although, I read that this is a contemplated fact, as some people don't believe it is. I can see how some believe the play not to be, because of Troy's character. He seems to be angry, and to make mistakes. When he dies, Cory feels somewhat yet free. Their is not much sadness associated with his death. I would say the most sadness lies in Troy and Rose's relationship. Much of the conflict occurs when Troy cheats on Rose with another woman, and becomes a father. This really takes a toll on their relationship, and it is never the same again. This is noted when Rose states, "And it didn't take me no eighteen years to find out the soil was hard and rocky and it wasn't never gonna bloom" (Wilson 1062).

1 comment:

  1. Hi Conner,
    To me it seemed like Troy never really work very hard on his relationship with Rose. He was too busy telling stories about his father and how he should have been playing in the major leagues, and of course having an affair. The part that really stood out to me was when he tried to justify his affair with Alberta on pg. 1061. I don't know how someone could do that to someone who loves them and then have the audacity to try and justify it by saying he didn't have any pressure when he was with her. I couldn't help but feel bad for Rose for everything Troy had put her through.

    ReplyDelete